A first for all of us! That said, I may have gone to a pumpkin patch when I was a kid but have lost all memory of it. I think I've lost memory of most of my childhood - a few things stick out, like the swimming pool in Moses Lake (McCosh Park), walking along the ditch to the gas station where we'd buy loads of candy for a dollar, playing ping-pong at my dad's work, making tape recordings with my little brother, chickens, dogs and cats, the coming and goings of older brothers & sisters...but that's about it.. Anyway - We (and when I say we, I mean Whitney:) searched the internet and found a pumpkin patch online called Heavenly Farms that was just outside of Corvallis. Sounded great! Boasting of hay rides, games, farm animals & organic produce. Heavenly it was not, it was a little run down and had zero pumpkins. Also, the only animals I saw were some rough looking chickens huddling behind a car. The farmer told us that the weather ruined their chances for any kind of pumpkin crop this year and that most other farms in the area were the same. We bought some pretty decent produce ( broccoli, beets & carrots - all of Ivy's favorites) and went our way.On our way to Corvallis ( we decided to make a visit to Trader Joes) we passed a farm called Davis Farms. Naturally, I drove past without hesitation but Whitney made us turn around to check it out. And that is one of the millions of reasons I'm lucky to have Whitney :) This place had it all - corn maze, hay maze, haystack slide, hay rides, apple cider and most importantly - pumpkins. All Ivy wanted to to was to play in the hay and corn mazes - luckily there wasn't a rustic old farm tire swing...we would have never got out of there.


After playing in the mazes for long, long time we convinced her to go on the hay ride to the pumpkin patch. Convincing her with words wasn't really working but once she saw the tractor pulling the cart with stacks of hay for sitting -she was hooked. She didn't even mind waiting in line! She loved the ride and she loved hopping like a bunny in the pumpkin patch.
And after picking a pumpkin....more of the mazes. They also made fresh donuts, which Ivy wanted so bad even though she didn't know what a donut was - she just knew she wanted one :) The line was too big so we convinced her to play in the mazes yet again.
Heaps of fun and she even slept on the way home..which is a rarity these days :)














No comments:
Post a Comment